The Caribbean Natural Resources Institute (CANARI), in its capacity as the Regional Implementation Team (RIT) for the Critical Ecosystem Partnership Fund (CEPF) for the Caribbean Islands Biodiversity Hotspot, is managing a US$6.9 million grant fund to support civil society’s contribution to biodiversity conservation in eleven Caribbean islands for 2010-2015.
What is the fund?
CEPF is a joint initiative of l’Agence Française de Développement, Conservation International, the Global Environment Facility, the Government of Japan, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and the World Bank. The goal of the CEPF is to support the work of civil society in developing and implementing conservation strategies, as well as in raising public awareness on the implications of loss of biodiversity. More information on CEPF can be found at www.cepf.net.
List of projects in the Caribbean
CEPF Caribbean Mid-Term Evaluation
A mid-term evaluation of the CEPF Caribbean islands investment programme is required. This evaluation is being conducted by CANARI in collaboration with the CEPF Secretariat during the period May – September 2013. The objectives of the mid-term evaluation process, focused on both accountability and learning, are to:
- facilitate networking for knowledge sharing, enhanced coordination and collaboration among CEPF grantees and with their partners;
- evaluate progress on achievement of CEPF Caribbean programme results – outputs, outcomes and impacts;
- build awareness and commitment of CEPF grantees, synergies and coordination;
- develop recommendations on strategies and priorities to achieve all results by the end of the programme;
- map relevant initiatives, funding development, synergies, potential areas of collaboration;
- identify unexpected positive and negative impacts of CEPF in the Caribbean;
- analyse lessons learnt on process of planning and implementation;
- develop recommendations for improvement of the process.
Key documents and reports related to the CEPF Caribbean islands mid-term evaluation:
- Concept note
- Mid-term evaluation framework
- Report of the Dominican Republic national focus group meeting
- Report of the Jamaica national focus group meeting
- Report of the Haiti national focus group meeting
- Report of the mid-term evaluation desk review
- Report of the online survey
- Report of the regional workshop
- Summary report for the Mid-term Evaluation
- Executive summary report for the Mid-term Evaluation
Tips for preparing a CEPF letter of inquiry
See what the CEPF Secretariat, the Regional Implementation Team (RIT) and the Regional Advisory Committee for CEPF (RACC) will be looking for when reviewing a CEPF letter of inquiry for both small and large grants.
Before submitting a letter of inquiry, applicants are encouraged to discuss proposal ideas and eligibility with the CANARI Regional Implementation Team who can be contacted at:
- Anna Hadeed, CANARI Senior Technical Officer and RIT Manager
- Leida Buglass, RIT Country Coordinator for the Dominican Republic
- Paul Judex Edouarzin, RIT Country Coordinator for Haiti
- Nicole Brown, RIT Country Coordinator for Jamaica
CEPF Safeguards Policies
CEPF appraises projects not only on their technical merit, but also on their environmental and social ramifications. Therefore, procedures for addressing environmental and social issues are included in the project cycle management process. A driving principle of CEPF is to prevent and mitigate any harm to people and thus to incorporate environmental and social concerns as an intrinsic part of project cycle management.
For more information, see Safeguards Policies section on the CEPF website.
To date, there are 9 safeguards documents for Caribbean projects. For more information, see here:
- Fauna and Flora International (FFI): Pest Management Plan
- Environmental Awareness Group (EAG): Pest Management Plan
- International Iguana Foundation (IIF): Process Framework
- Windsor Research Centre Limited (WRC): Environmental Management Plan
- National Parks, Rivers and Beaches Authority (NPRBA): Process Framework
- Fondo Pronaturaleza Inc. (PRONATURA): Involuntary Resettlement
- Caribbean Coastal Area Management Foundation (CCAM): Process Framework
- Caribbean Coastal Area Management Foundation (CCAM): Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Management Plan
- Fundación José Delio Guzmán Inc.: Environmental Assessment Safety Manual